- The Phillies were excited about picking up Herrera in the Rule 5 Draft in December, and he did not disappoint with a strong Spring Training. They hope his clutch hit Saturday is a sign of things to come.
- Ben Revere is not known for his arm, but threw out Michael Taylor at the plate in the 10th inning to keep the game tied. It was a huge play.
- Hamels allowed four home runs in five innings Monday in an Opening Day loss to the Red Sox, but he rebounded nicely against the Nationals. He allowed two hits, one run, two walks and struck out five in seven innings. His only hiccup came in the fourth inning, when Ramos hit a 0-1 fastball for a home run.
- Hamels should be accustomed to the lack of run support. He entered Saturday 86th out of 88 qualifying pitchers in baseball in run-support average from 2013-15. Hamels has averaged just 3.41 runs of support over the last two-plus seasons. Only Eric Stults (3.23) and Nathan Eovaldi (2.75) have had fared worse.
- Miss America 2014 Nina Davuluri threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the game.
- In the seventh inning, Desmond hit a slow roller to third baseman Andres Blanco, who nipped Desmond for the second out of the inning. But the Nationals challenged the call and, after 1:42, the call stood.