- Ten of the Phillies' 11 outs from the fifth through the eighth innings came on strikeouts. In fact, they had runners on second and third with no outs in the seventh only to have , and strike out. But after and struck out to start the eighth, walked and doubled to score Franco to give the Phillies a 1-0 lead. Philadelphia added three insurance runs in the ninth off . "After the seventh inning after we didn't score, I didn't think we had a chance to win this game," Phillies manager Pete Mackanin said. "I just thought that their bullpen -- we were in trouble. Joseph's big hit off of , who's tough to hit, that was huge, obviously."
- Hellickson has not only allowed just one run in his last 14 innings, but he also has a 2.20 ERA in his last seven starts. So it isn't like he just started to pitch well. Hellickson is scheduled to make one more start before the Trade Deadline, but one wonders if he will get there. "It doesn't bother me," Hellickson said about his name circulating in trade rumors. "Once I'm in this locker room -- obviously you still see it on TV and stuff -- my focus was on helping us win today. Now, it's on to the next start, so I definitely, like I told you guys, I see it and read about it, but it's been like this for a few years now, so it's pretty easy to go out there right now."
- "Man, was I pumped. When I was getting into second, I was like, 'Oh, Maik is going to score. This is great.' Of course, the helmet came off, too. That was going to happen no matter what."
- snapped an 0-for-26 slump with a single to right field in the fifth inning. It was the Phillies' longest hitless streak since went 0-for-35 last season.
- Pinch-hitting for Fernando Rodney with two outs in the eighth, grounded out weakly to pitcher . Ichiro still sits at 2,996 career hits and needs just four more to become the 30th player in MLB history with 3,000.
- The Phillies announced Rule 5 Draft pick has been returned to the Royals' organization. The Phillies designated Stumpf for assignment last week. He sandwiched a 10.80 ERA in seven appearances with an 80-game suspension for testing positive for a steroid designed by East Germany in the 1960s.