Saturday, October 3, 2015

Marlins Brought Hurricane With Them From Florida

GAME RECAP: Game Postponed Due To Rain…


The Phillies will play a double header on Saturday before the season finale on Sunday… can they finish with the worst record in baseball this season? Can they reach the 100 loss milestone? This final series will provide the answers to both of those questions.

NEXT GAME:


The Phillies open their final series of the season tomorrow against the Marlins at Citizens Bank Park. The Phillies will play a double header with Aaron Harang taking the mound in game 1 and rookie Alec Asher finishing the day in game 2. This will likely be Harang’s final start in a Phillies uniform while Asher will look to make a final impression on the team in the hope of being on the opening day roster in 2016.

PHILS PHACTS:


Wanting To Return - Carlos Ruiz has slowly watched the Phillies rebuild, piece by piece. Injuries took the careers of teammates like Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee earlier than expected. Trades sent Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Cole Hamels, Jonathan Papelbon, Ben Revere, Jake Diekman, Marlon Byrd and Antonio Bastardo away. Only Ruiz and Ryan Howard remain from the Phillies' 2008 World Series championship team. "It's been tough," Ruiz said Thursday at Citizens Bank Park. "Being around teammates like Chase and Jimmy, we spent a lot of time together and we made some good memories. I feel like we're a family. It's tough to see them walk away and go to different teams. But at the same time baseball continues." But will the Phillies continue with Ruiz? It is likely, despite the fact he turns 37 in January and is finishing the toughest season of his career, posting a .585 OPS in 315 appearances. Ruiz will make $8.5 million next season and he has value as a backup, although Ruiz said he still views himself as a starter, despite the fact Cameron Rupp has started 54 of the team's last 89 games. "I believe I am still a No. 1," Ruiz said. "But at the same time they gave a chance to Rupp and I'm happy that he played well and did a great job." Ruiz has been one of the most respected and well-liked players in the Phillies' clubhouse for years. If he returns, he can continue to mentor the team's young pitchers and catching prospects Jorge Alfaro and Andrew Knapp, who could be in big league camp in Spring Training. "I'm real happy here," Ruiz said. "I'm going to go home, rest a little bit and come back to work. I believe in myself. I feel great. I don't make excuses, but there were days when I felt great and days when I didn't feel good. That's tough." Ruiz cited the arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder last October. He said the shoulder felt weak at times. "I don't know if I'm going to be here or somewhere else, but hopefully it's here," Ruiz said. "I'm disappointed with the year I had, and I'd like to turn it around. I'm going to do everything I can. We'll see what happens next year. I think I'll feel better."

THE BEGINNING:
The Phillies have returned to their lackluster ways and regained their grip on last place in the NL East with a record of 62-97. Given the departures, aging stars, injuries, and bipolar performances this season, this could still end up being the worst team in franchise history… at least that is something to hope for this year! All time, the Phillies are 23-20-2 on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment